The Latex Mat is ideal for cots and cot beds. It is a very supportive and non-allergenic mattress. The springy core of the mattress is made from a natural latex foam which has been tapped straight from the rubber tree. It has a superior cell structure as it is filled with lots of little air bubbles which means it provides excellant ventilation and insulation. It also conforms well to body weight and pressure making it very comfortable for your baby. The latex is sandwiched together with organic coir adding extra spring, support and breathability. These natural fibres are then wrapped in an anti-dust mite lambswool (treated with eucalyptus, lemon and lavender to render it dust mite free). Dust mites are the main cause of allergies so we have ensured that all the natural fibres in this mattress keep them away!
Natural Latex Foam in our Mattresses
What’s natural latex foam?
Natural latex foam is produced from the Hevea Brasilienesis rubber tree. It was once commercially produced in the Amazon and now 90% of the total world production of natural latex comes from Asia.
The latex comes of out of the tree as a white cloudy fluid, similar to cow’s milk. It is sapped straight from the tree (similar to tapping a syrup from a Maple tree) by cutting a spiral groove into the bark which allows the sap to exude into a container over a period of hours. The latex fluid is then whipped into a frothy liquid to beat the air into it and then placed into an oven to bake into its final state. The end product is 100% natural latex foam.
The benefits of natural latex foam:
• Perfect for Asthma and Eczema sufferers as the foam is naturally anti-microbial and anti-bacterial. Dust mites, the main cause of allergies can not live in latex foam because the conditions in the foam are too dry and mildew free.
• Unlike latex rubber gloves which can cause irritation to the skin, natural latex foam in Natural Mat’s mattresses is not in direct contact with the skin as it is sandwiched together with other natural fibres.
• The foam has a superior cell structure as it is filled with lots of little air bubbles. It provides excellent ventilation and insulation, keeping you warm during the winter and cool during the summer.
• Natural Latex foam is very durable and has good elasticity which means it has a long life span.
• The foam conforms to your body shape and pressure, giving you superior orthopaedic support and promotes healthy muscles by alleviating constricting muscles.
• Unlike most standard foams, natural latex foam is environmentally friendly and bio-degradable.